Educational Clothing & Shoes Recycling Initiative
- PLEASE DON’T THROW YOUR CLOTHES AWAY! Recycle your clothes & shoes in our new BLANCHE DODD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Clothing Bin. Every pound of clothing & shoes recycled here supports our school! Dodd will earn $.07 per pound of recycled clothing.
- DID YOU KNOW? All clothing, shoes & textiles are mandated by the state to be recycled along with items we are used to recycling such as bottles, cans, plastics, cardboard and newspapers.
- 85% OF CLOTHING & TEXTILES ARE DISCARDED INTO LANDFILLS! (source: 2012 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Facts & Figures).
· WHAT ARE TEXTILES?
Textiles include items made from cloth or artificial fabric, like vinyl. Nearly all textiles can be recycled, such as:
- CLOTHING: Pants, jeans, skirts, dresses, suits, shorts, shirts, tees, tanks
- OUTERWEAR: Coats, jackets, gloves, hats, scarves
- FOOTWEAR: Shoes, boots, heels, sneakers, sandals, socks, tights
- UNDERGARMENTS: Bras, underwear, slips, camisoles
- ACCESSORIES: Hats, belts, ties, scarves, headbands
- HANDBAGS: Wallets, totes, luggage, backpacks, briefcases
- LINENS: Towels, sheets, comforters, blankets, tablecloths
· GREEN BENEFITS:
- Electronic Sensors Monitor Bin Fill Levels to Avoid Overflow
- Carbon Footprint Reduction
- Clear Air Preservation
- Reduced Energy Consumption
- Water Conservation
- Woodland Conservation
- Reuse Clothing & Accessories